One of my favorite cookies to make around the holidays is the Rainbow Cookie! If you love marzipan as much as I do, this recipe is an absolute must-have. You’ve got three beautiful layers of marzipan with raspberry jam in between, all draped in delicious chocolate. It’s my personal favorite cookie to make as gifts and for special occasions; it’s not too sweet, it’s easy to customize, and is super cute to boot. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do this season!
Ingredients and Materials Needed
7 ozs marzipan (almond paste)
1 cup sugar
3 sticks unsalted butter, soft
4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
1 tsp almond extract
2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1/4 tsp salt
5 drops green food coloring
5 drops red food coloring
12 ozs raspberry jam, seedless
6 ozs semisweet chocolate chips
3 metal baking pans
hand mixer (optional, but always so helpful)
- Making the cookie dough: Preheat oven to 350°F and grease 3 (13- by 9-inch) parchment-lined metal baking sheets.
- Crumble your marzipan and grind it with sugar in a food processor until no lumps remain. Transfer to a large bowl, add your softened butter, and mix until it’s light and fluffy. Add yolks and almond extract and continue to beat well. Next, add in the sifted flour and salt and combine at low speed.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until they just hold stiff peaks. Stir one third of your whipped egg whites into your batter to lighten it slightly. Then, fold in remaining whites thoroughly.
- Divide dough into thirds (about 1 1/2 cups each). Stir green food coloring into one third and red food coloring into another, leaving one third plain. Spread each dough separately into a pan. The layers should be thin.
- Baking the cookies: Bake layers in batches in middle of oven until just set and beginning to turn golden along edges, 7 to 10 minutes total. Run a knife along edges to loosen from pan. While the cookies are still hot, invert a large rack over pan and invert layer onto rack, pulling gently on wax paper overhangs to release if necessary. Peel off wax paper and cool completely.
- Assembling the cookies: Line a large shallow baking pan with wax paper and slide green layer into it. Spread half of jam evenly over green layer and carefully top with plain layer. Spread remaining jam evenly over uncolored layer and carefully top with pink layer (trim edges if necessary). Cover with plastic wrap and weight with a large cutting board or baking pan. Chill at least 3 hours.
- Making the chocolate coating: Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Remove weight and plastic wrap and spread chocolate evenly over top, but not sides, of pink layer. Let stand at room temperature until set, about 1 hour, and cut into small diamonds (12 rows crosswise and 12 diagonal rows).