Macaroni and cheese is comfort food at it’s best. It’s creamy, rich, cheesy, and any number of other tantalizing adjectives. Unfortunately, those words often coincide with unhealthy dishes that aren’t the best for your health, either. This macaroni and cheese is an indulgent dish that you won’t have you mentally counting how many jumping jacks you’ll need to do with every bite you take. With low-fat ingredients, whole wheat penne, and turkey bacon, you can feel better about your mac!
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsps whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 slices turkey bacon (chopped)
- In a large pot boil salted water and cook pasta for 8 minutes then drain and set aside.
- In a bowl mix the milk, broth and flour and whisk until flour is dissolved. Then pour the milk mixture, garlic powder, basil, thyme, and a pinch of salt and pepper into a sauce pan sprayed with cooking spray and cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until milk begins to thicken. Then add the swiss cheese, and parmesan cheese and continue to stir until cheese is melted (around 3 minutes).
- In a small pan sprayed with cooking spray cook the bacon pieces over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until crispy. Then set bacon aside on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Combine the pasta and cheese sauce and toss well. Then top with bacon pieces and serve.